Text analysis is a computational approach to studying texts. Sometimes referred to as text mining or distant reading, it relies on a suite of tools to quantify textual elements in order to identify meaningful patterns. Some areas of text analysis include:
- Word frequency: Examining prominence of terms across one or several texts
- Parts of speech: Quantifying grammatical distinctions
- Named-entity recognition: Detection of proper nouns
- Sentiment analysis: Classifying texts as positive or negative in tone
- Topic modeling: Identifying themes across a body of texts
We can assist you in conducting text analysis by developing testable hypotheses, formatting text for machine analysis, and getting started with text analysis tools.